Improving your child’s emotional quotient | Emotional intelligence | Emotional intelligence quotient
A window into the world of emotions— With tight fists and a clenched mouth, little Raju stamped out of the door in a rage. His mother was fuming too and shouted out “You are grounded, no television and no Xbox for a week, now that’s your punishment for scoring badly in Maths”.
I am sure we can all related to this, a common picture in every household, isn’t it? Anger is inevitable but the impact that it has is definitely worrisome. ‘to err is human, to forgive divine’, so emotions are a part and parcel of us Homo sapiens.
But can we call ourselves emotionally intelligent? Well, we are all aware of IQ, right! But what what is EQ?
According to studies,” IQ contributes to about 20% of the factors that determine
success, which leaves 80% to other forces”; forces grouped as emotional intelligence
So, we can brand ourselves as high EQ people only if we can understand, perceive, analyse others emotions and react accordingly.
Making a decision to become a parent is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Children believe what they see, not what they are told. Hence, being a guardian with high EQ matters!
There is no such thing as a perfect parent, so just be a real one. When you are raising a kid with high EQ ok, you are gifting the world a balanced human who shall make the earth a beautiful abode!!
Improving your child’s Emotional Quotient- A few tips and tricks
1. Never punish a child for being honest. The moment you do it, you teach the child. Inculcate courage, the world needs it!
2. Treat your children as humans, not pressure cookers! Expectations overload will only blow the whistle. So as parents, take it easy on the kid.
3. Raise a human, not a robot! Sit down! Stand up! Eat, sleep, study, talk! C’mon
the child has a mind of his or her own. Too many instructions will only ruin it.
4. ‘C’ for compassion. Being humane is more herculean than just being successful.Personality building is key and that comes by installing human values such as care,trust, respect and compassion.
5. Being ‘cool’. Porsche clothes, flawless English, trendy gadgets for a fantastic report card does not make a child ‘cool’
Smartness is not just about superficial factors but instead it evaluates the child’s core traits such as mindfulness, obedience, calm disposition, honesty and ethics.
So let’s join hands for a better tomorrow by raising children with high emotional quotient. Children who are ebulient, courageous and kind!!
High EQ –> charming wards –> magnificent adults –> Heavenly world!!
"Why Spanking School Age Kids Is Scarier Than Tyra Banks" "Why the Next 10 Years of Peaceful Parenting Will Smash the Last 10" "Give Me 12 Min And I Will Give You 12 Strategic Ways Tо Improve Your Child's Cоnсеntrаtіоn" "How Learning The Abc Of Parenting Can Help You Survive a Filibuster" "Why Sculpting Your Child’s Brain Is The Secret Ingredient To A Happy Life"
Guest post by Sadhna Sudershana ,
Assistant professor KIIT